Here is a very short list of publications suggested for people who would like to quickly have an overall understanding of nominal classification in linguistics. This list is absolutely not exhaustive and many more other good publications could (and should) be recommended too. If having questions or suggestions, please feel free to send me a mail (written on the homepage).
- Seifart, Frank. 2010. Nominal classification. Language and Linguistics Compass, 4(8): 719-736.
- Contini-Morava, Ellen and Kilarski, Marcin. 2013. Functions of nominal classification. Language Sciences, 40: 263-299.
- Kemmerer, David. 2016. Categories of object concepts across languages and brains: The relevance of nominal classification systems to cognitive neuroscience. Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience, 32(4): 401-424.
- Corbett, Greville G. 1991. Gender. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Aikhenvald, Alexandra Y. 2000. Classifiers: A typology of noun categorization devices. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kilarski, Marcin. 2013. Nominal classification: A history of its study from the classical period to the present. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- David Gil. 2013. Numeral classifiers. In: Dryer, Matthew S. & Haspelmath, Martin (eds.) The World Atlas of Language Structures Online. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
- Greville G. Corbett. 2013. Number of genders. In: Dryer, Matthew S. & Haspelmath, Martin (eds.) The World Atlas of Language Structures Online. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.